Grilling is one of the most ancient methods of cooking meat. It is still the best and most loved method of cooking meat. Grilled meat is almost a darling to everyone who eats meat. Steak is one of the most grilled types of meat. It is actually the best meat to use as far as grilling is concerned. One of the major concerns when it comes to grilling steak is how you ensure a thick piece of steak is grilled well. Eating uncooked meat can be harmful to your health. As such, it is prudent that you always make sure the meat you eat is well grilled and cooked.
Grilling a thick steak is tricky because it might end up uncooked in the inside. It requires you to be careful and experienced. When you do it well, grilled steak is one of the most sumptuous meats you will ever taste. We seek to educate you about various aspects of grilling. This is a comprehensive guide about you can perfectly grill a thick steak.
Steps of Perfectly Grilling Thick Steak
Let’s look at the ingredients you need to start grilling.
- 2 tablespoons canola or extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- As you prepare the grill, let the steak piece sit at room temperature. Place it in a bowl and cover it.
- Light up your grill and let it pre-heat. The time to preheat depends on the grill you are using. Let it preheat to a temperature of 275 degrees F.
- Brush the steak with the olive oil on both sides, and them season it with the salt and pepper
- Place the steak on the grill and allow it to cook for until golden brown and slightly charred on the top. Cook it for around 5 to 7 minutes. Please note that the steak is totally uncooked on the inside.
- The steak now has various stages of cooking. You will need a grilling thermometer to check the interior temperature of the meat. Keep flipping it regularly so that it does not get burnt. Apply the olive oil regularly to prevent it from drying up as it cooks.
- The first stage is the medium rare stage. Here is meat has an internal temperature of 135 degrees F. It has a deep red color on the inside when you scratch off the top cooked part. Grill it for 4 to 6 minutes.
- The next stage is the medium stage. The red color will start diminishing and the meat will start turning a light blue or brown. The internal temperature should be 140 degrees F. Grill for another 6 to 8 minutes.
- The last stage of cooking is the medium-well stage. The steak not has a temperature of 150 degrees F and has turned to a golden-brown color. Grill for 8 to 10 more minutes.
- Take it off the grill and tent it loosely with foil and let it simmer for 5 minutes before cutting
Note that grilled steak needs to be juicy to have a great taste. Many people make a mistake of letting the steak cook until it is totally dry.